Sonntag, 10. Juni 2012

The area of the doubtful spring

I arrived in my lodge in Twyfelfontain in the early afternoon. (The name, doubtful spring, describes the spring in this area, which doesn't always give water). It was nicely situated in the typical rock formations. It's a quite big lodge (compared to what I have seen here before), and somehow I met almost everyone I came in contact with in my last accommodations. (Apparently this was the place to be.) As it was still early I went to visit the famous rock carvings of elephants, rhinos, etc, dating from 2000-6000 years ago. Amazing how well preserved at least some of them still were. Going back to the lodge, the surrounding rocks were lit up in the afternoon sun. After dinner I took some time to try out star photography, as the night sky here was quite clear and amazing. (I think I still have to try out more, but I might've gotten a nice pic of the southern cross.) Next morning I spent visiting the living museum of the Damara people. They are the people, that originally come from this area. In the museum they show their traditional way of live to the tourists, which help them to earn some money, but also to keep their traditions alive, as their are hardly any Damaras living traditionally any more. Therefore this is also used as a school for their kids to learn about their roots. After this I made a short detour to also see the petrified forest, before I would leave the Twyfelfontain area. The petrified trees don't originate in this area, but were brought here by the river. Therefore I find it even more amazing, how big some of these trees were. Definatly worth the detour.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen