Sonntag, 10. Juni 2012

Leaving the Namib

Leaving Swakopmund this morning, I finally understood why they were always talking about the fog along the coast. It was there. Apparently I had been white lucky the days before, but now it was all foggy. Looking at the water condensed on my car, I also understood, how the plants and animals in the desert can survive. So I left Swakopmund in the fog and headed up north. Only when I started turning east, away from the coast, after about 25 km the fog was suddenly gone. The further north I then got, the more the landscape changed. Suddenly trees started emerging, a lot of dips were on the steet, which would be full of water in the raining season (but it hasn't rained here for more that a year now). Also more people lived around here, I could see huts not far from the street, or Herero women trying to sell their handcrafts along the street. So finally, it started feeling like really being in Africa. Hills emerged, stones everywhere, it looked a bit like a giant hadn't cleaned up after playing. I was finally reaching the area of Twyfelfontain (the doubtful spring) in the Damaraland.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen